Olympic fever is back and this time it is fierce and competent than ever. With few weeks to go for the opening ceremony, most of the countries have geared up to exhibit their skills in various sport events. Born and brought up in the proud country like India, today am going to share the insightful journey of the country on this platform.
The foundation of Olympic Games was help in ancient Greece where a series of competitions were held between councils from the cities of Greece. Revived through various changes and transformations, Olympics gave birth to Modern Olympics that is played today. The number of countries participating in Olympic Games has significantly evolved over the years.
Birth of Indian Olympics
India’s first entry into Olympic Games was dated to the year 1900 with a lone athlete Norman Pritchard, by winning two silver medals in athletics. Later in 1920, first Indian team consisting of four athletes, and two wrestlers, was sent to summer Olympic Games, marking as its beginning in the history of Olympics. In the year 1924, “All India Olympic Committee was formed, where eight sportsmen were selected to represent the country at Paris Olympics. Right after that India has consistently represented on various events held in Olympics and bestowed a unique recognition to the country with pride and honour.
Accolades and awards
- Consecutively four times right from the year 1928,1932,1936,1948 Indian Men’s Field hockey team have won Gold Medal.
- In the year 1952, India won both gold and bronze medal for Hockey.
- In the year 1956, Indian Men’s Field Hockey was again crowned with Gold medal.
- The year 1960, was a little disappointing as the, Indian Men’s Field Hockey ended up winning two silver medals, however with a spectacular game show.
- The year 1964 was again a remarkable year for, Indian Men’s Field Hockey team by winning a Gold Medal.
- The consecutive Olympic Games of the years 1968 and 72, Indian Men’s Field Hockey team have ended up with bronze medals.
- The year 1980 was again a year of gold for, Indian Men’s Field Hockey team with amazing performance on the field.
- Marking the year with performances in various sport categories, India won a Bronze medal in the category of Tennis by Leander Paes.
- The year 2000 have opened the doors for woman champions in the category of weightlifting with a bronze medal, awarded to Karnam Malleshwari.
- 2004 was marked as a year for shooting, where India bagged bronze medal by Rajyavardhan Singh Rathode.
- 2008 is considered to be a remarkable year in the history of Olympics. Indian bagged one gold and two bronze medals. One gold by Abhinav Bindra in shooting, bronze medals by Sushil Kumar in Wrestling and Vijender Kumar in Boxing.
- The year 2012, recorded another mile stone by winning 2 silver and 4 bronze medals respectively. Two silver medals from Vijay Kumar in shooting and Sushil Kumar in wrestling (66 kgs men’s freestyle). Four bronze by Gagan Narang in Shooting, Saina Nehwal in Badminton singles, Mary Kom in Boxing, and Yogeshwar Dutt in Men’s Wrestling (60 kgs mens freestyle).
Waiting forward for more proud victories and spectacular performances, I Sanjeet Veen feel proud for belonging to a country which stands ahead in every category it represents.